Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Looking through a new lens.

Spring is finally upon us. Even though it feels like it arrived in February, as we didn't really get a Winter season with all it's accompanying rain this year, in another week it will officially be the end of the rainy season in California and the beginning of the sunny season. 

As if on cue, I picked up a new Nikon last week, I have been wanting one for a few years now, watching and waiting for just the right one for me, and finally pulled the trigger last week on a Nikon. I could have waited till the end of the year for better deals this holiday season, might have even saved some money, but I couldn't fathom the thought of going through three more seasons before finally getting my hands on one. This certainly wasn't an impulsive instant gratification thing, I have been waiting a few years for this. 

I haven't had much time to get familiarized with the new equipment and lenses, just a couple of outings on a mostly rained out weekend, before work has separated me from my new love. 
Foolishly, I had jumped right into very shallow depth of field snaps - to mixed results. This camera is unforgiving of rookie mistakes, and a shallow depth of field requires you to nail the focus exactly where you want it to be. Yet here I was fiddling with AF areas and modes etc. as I played around, even throwing in focus and recompose into the fray. I didn't always succeed, actually mostly didn't, but maybe more practice will make perfect. 

What follows are a few examples of my goof ups, which I felt were decent enough to share. Here is to hoping that I get better, much better. That would be something! :)

Hopefully you would enjoy looking at these, even if they are nowhere near perfect!



A Rose at Villa Toscano, an Amador County Winery.

Roses at Villa Toscano, an Amador County Winery.
A Rose at Villa Toscano, an Amador County Winery.
Roses at Villa Toscano, an Amador County Winery.


A Rose at Young's, an Amador County Winery.
Roses at Young's, an Amador County Winery.
Roses at Young's, an Amador County Winery.
Roses at Young's, an Amador County Winery.
Apple blossoms are starting to bloom at Apple Hill.
A flowering bush at Apple Hill.
Random flower along the way.
A busy bee at Apple Hill.
Thank you for looking. :)

4 comments:

  1. Very nice. The shots don't have to be perfect to be pretty.

    I had an old Minolta 35 mm camera back in the day when I worked at a camera shop. I loved it because of the switchable lenses and filters. Haven't used a manual focus camera in 15 years or so now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You are always so sweet and full of compliments! Flattered and very much appreciate you and your kind words! :)

      Delete
  2. I too just got another camera body and I hear ya on getting use to it. Nice BOKEH on the first 2. My other dSLR still goes in the tank bag on the FJR thou.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Willie! The pictures here were shot with a mix of lenses. The Nikon 50mm f1.8 and the Nikon 28-300mm f3.5. Of course the BOKEH in the 50mm f1.8 shot is much better. :)

      Lenses on the wish list are the -

      1. Nikon 85mm f1.8
      2. Tamron/Sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3

      Delete

I love to read your comments and suggestions and appreciate them very much, so please feel free to leave some. Although, to fight spam, I do limit comments to Registered Users which includes those with blogger accounts, or other Google accounts or OpenID accounts etc. Thank you!